Cool eventsSee all »
- Ben & Jerry's
- Cédric Chevalley
- fund raising
- La Chaux-de-Fonds
- nail polish
- Hendrick’s Gin Valentine’s Special: Heart-Shaped Cucumbers
- CharacterStation.com brings cool Designer Toys to Switzerland!
- Samsung News: Usain Bolt Joins Forces with Samsung
- Mise à jour: when your wardrobe needs an update
- Alp ICT Lift Venture Night: and the winner is… Faceshift
- Fifty Shades of Grey: a word-of-mouth propelled internet success story
- gites de france on Samsung News: Usain Bolt Joins Forces with Samsung
- Eileen Schuch on Hendrick’s Gin Valentine’s Special: Heart-Shaped Cucumbers
- Eileen Schuch on CharacterStation.com brings cool Designer Toys to Switzerland!
- LondonJames on Hendrick’s Gin Valentine’s Special: Heart-Shaped Cucumbers
- LondonJames on CharacterStation.com brings cool Designer Toys to Switzerland!
Tablet or Smartphone? The best of both worlds…
I don’t know about you, but I always have a lot of trouble making decisions and choices… Cheese or dessert, sea or mountains, pale or brown (I’m talking about beer, of course!). Decisions, decisions, decisions… So when it comes to high-tech, it’s the same problem all over again, only this time it’s… tablet or smartphone? But now that Samsung has launched the Galaxy Note, there’s no choice needed!
The new smartphone/tablet (or should that be smartblet or tablophone? Ok, I’ll stop!) has a 5.3 inch screen (approx. 13.4 cm) and is a clever combination of the two. It’s without doubt one of the most original products of the year. The system operates with Google’s Android software. It’s an asset in terms of openness to the world and multi-formats outside of the monoculture and tyranny rife in ‘that Cupertino fruit company’. The screen makes reading this blog or watching a film an absolute joy wherever you are. And I haven’t even got onto the 8 megapixel camera and the built-in RDS radio tuner yet…
The key innovation is that Samsung has updated… the stylet! It was wrongly thought to be dead and buried along with the tactile revolution, (despite its popularity in the 90s), Reebok Pumps and the Loveparade (but that’s another story for another time). In a nutshell, there are a few blasts from the past (Ahoj… Palm III), but this time it sports a splendid AMOLED screen, which is perfect for commenting on photos, sketching, drawing, designing, or just generally expressing yourself freely. For anyone who is a budding artist at heart, or those who miss their paper diary, it’s a cool idea. The more tactile members of our readership can rejoice in the easy-to-swipe capacitive touchscreen.
At this point, it’s easy to see why the Korean manufacturer has hit the ground running with this little gem of a product. It is thought to have already sold more than 5 million worldwide. It’s a concept that hits the nail right on the head. Furthermore, Samsung is also offering CHF 50.- cashback. The only problem is that it comes in black or white… Oh no! Not more choices!
nic the geek, guest blogger for coolbrands