Cool eventsSee all »
- Ben & Jerry's
- Cédric Chevalley
- fund raising
- La Chaux-de-Fonds
- nail polish
- Hendrick’s Gin Valentine’s Special: Heart-Shaped Cucumbers
- CharacterStation.com brings cool Designer Toys to Switzerland!
- Samsung News: Usain Bolt Joins Forces with Samsung
- Mise à jour: when your wardrobe needs an update
- Alp ICT Lift Venture Night: and the winner is… Faceshift
- Fifty Shades of Grey: a word-of-mouth propelled internet success story
- gites de france on Samsung News: Usain Bolt Joins Forces with Samsung
- Eileen Schuch on Hendrick’s Gin Valentine’s Special: Heart-Shaped Cucumbers
- Eileen Schuch on CharacterStation.com brings cool Designer Toys to Switzerland!
- LondonJames on Hendrick’s Gin Valentine’s Special: Heart-Shaped Cucumbers
- LondonJames on CharacterStation.com brings cool Designer Toys to Switzerland!
CharacterStation.com brings cool Designer Toys to Switzerland!
CharacterStation.com has been a pioneer in the sale, distribution and promotion of Designers’ Toys and Urban Vinyl in Switzerland for over 7 years. The toys are either designed or customised by artists working in the field of urban culture and made available in a series of limited editions. Thus, world-renowned graphic designers, stylists, web designers, graffiti artists and illustrators are all leaving their particular stamp on 3D plastic objects.
Designers’ Toys are part of a fast-expanding movement that has already taken all the leading conurbations on the planet by storm and is gradually spreading throughout Switzerland thanks to the efforts of CharacterStation.com. The company imports these rare objects from all four corners of the globe to build an exclusive product offering for its web site and store, as well as distributing them through many outlets.
Artistically speaking, Designers’ Toys are a new form of creative medium for artists. They allow artists to express their individual style by exploring a range of materials, colours and aesthetics peculiar to each designer. Designers’ Toys thus lead to a discovery of the creative world of a particular artist from an unusual angle and may therefore be considered works of art in themselves.
The Toys are also linked to a totally alternative culture in this current era. The artists who contribute to the movement are mostly in the field of new arts, such as multimedia. Disciplines such as these are becoming increasingly important in our digital era and little is still known of their use for the purposes of artistic expression, since they are mainly exercised in the business world.
In order to protect the artists’ works, the toys are produced as part of a series of limited editions (100-2,000 pieces). As a result, fans of Designers’ Toys around the world tend to snap up limited edition pieces by their favourite artists and start a collection. Some toys are produced as part of very limited editions, and in some cases in one-off examples and they can fetch huge prices. Designers’ Toys are therefore sometimes auctioned off and the web helps put collectors in contact with one another.
To discover this new art, you can visit the CharacterStation shop at Rue de Grenus 1, 1201 Geneva, and the web site www.characterstation.com, where you will discover a staggering collection of pieces.